[TFD]CLAN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hi all im [TFD]DrIfTkInG..thanks for visit my forum...if you want join to my clan?(ask to me im here)

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Hello everybody..please register first
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» elate na driftaroume xana
Geneva is now in Switzerland EmptyThu Dec 17, 2015 4:38 pm by [TFD]GORGi

» Topspinner
Geneva is now in Switzerland EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 10:11 am by chickengold92

» Cricket pitch
Geneva is now in Switzerland EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 10:11 am by chickengold92

» Finger spin
Geneva is now in Switzerland EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 10:10 am by chickengold92

» The wicket
Geneva is now in Switzerland EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 11:38 pm by taixyz1992

» While training

» O'Reilly won

»  Flower Drum Song
Geneva is now in Switzerland EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 10:41 am by chickengold92

»  Mikhail Sergeyevich Gorbachev
Geneva is now in Switzerland EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 10:40 am by chickengold92

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

Affiliates
free forum

Geneva is now in Switzerland

Go down 
AuthorMessage
taixyz1992

Geneva is now in Switzerland Empty
PostSubject: Geneva is now in Switzerland   Geneva is now in Switzerland EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 5:36 am

Rousseau was born in Geneva, which, since 1536, had been a Huguenot republic and the seat of Calvinism. (Geneva is now in Switzerland.) Rousseau was proud that his family, of the moyen order (or middle-class), had voting rights in the city. Throughout his life, he described himself as a citizen of Geneva.

The house where Rousseau was born at number 40, place du Bourg-de-Four
In theory, Geneva was governed democratically by its male voting citizens, a minority of the population. In fact, the city was ruled by a secretive executive committee, called the "Little Council," which was made up of 25 members of its wealthiest families. In 1707, a patriot called Pierre Fatio protested at this situation, and the Little Council had him shot. Jean-Jacques Rousseau's father Isaac was not in the city at this time, but Jean-Jacques's grandfather supported Fatio and was penalized for it.[3]
Rousseau's father, Isaac Rousseau, was a watchmaker who, notwithstanding his artisan status, was well educated and a lover of music. "A Genevan watchmaker," Rousseau wrote, "is a man who can be introduced anywhere; a Parisian watchmaker is only fit to talk about watches."[4]
Rousseau's mother, Suzanne Bernard Rousseau, the daughter of a Calvinist preacher, died of puerperal fever nine days after his birth. He and his older brother François were brought up by their father and a paternal aunt, also named Suzanne.
Rousseau had no recollection of learning to read, but he remembered how when he was 5 or 6 his father encouraged his love of reading:
Every night, after supper, we read some part of a small collection of romances [i.e., adventure stories], which had been my mother's. My father's design was only to improve me in reading, and he thought these entertaining works were calculated to give me a fondness for it; but we soon found ourselves so interested in the adventures they contained, that we alternately read whole nights together and could not bear to give over until at the conclusion of a volume. Sometimes, in the morning, on hearing the swallows at our window, my father, quite ashamed of this weakness, would cry, "Come, come, let us go to bed; I am more a child than thou art." —Confessions, Book 1

get a job
Baby Nursery
Back to top Go down

Geneva is now in Switzerland
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
[TFD]CLAN :: Your first category :: Your first forum-
Jump to: